Handheld Press is receiving too many book proposals for our Handheld Modern list so we are closing the doors to allow us to deal with the backlog, and to assess what we have.
We are still open for proposals for Handheld Classics and for Handheld Research titles. If you’d like us to consider a proposal for either of these, please use these forms:
In the meantime, this is what we’d say to someone with a modern fiction book proposal to send us:
Cconsider checking these aspects of your MS before sending it to another publisher:
- Does the publisher publish this kind of thing? (If they don’t, don’t send it.)
- Have you checked their submissions guidelines?
- Does your submission / proposal abide by these?
- Have you proofread your text?
- Are you sure that your book is ready to be seen by a professional publisher whom you want to ask to invest time and money in printing and marketing your writing?
- Remember that if you don’t conduct your business in a professional way at this stage, how can a publisher trust you to be a professional writer worth investing time and money in?
- Are you really sure?
That’s OK then: send it off.
Make a note of when you sent it, and if you haven’t had an acknowledgement in a week, ask for one.
If you haven’t had any feedback in 3 months, ask for it.
Start writing the next thing.
Keep writing, keep reading, and your writing will expand mightily.